Re: The case for cross-desktop dockability and notification-area applet ideology revision.

On Sat, Jul 31, 2004 at 03:39:37PM +0000, Alastair Poole wrote:

> GNOME is becoming a usable desktop.

Yeah, right. :)

> I have noticed there are applications to which a visual window-list indicator
> is unnecessary.  Such include Gnome's Gaim.  And when enabled to function
> with the notification-area applet, the window-list becomes more readable and
> hence the desktop as a whole more usable.

Now, what should be tray'ed and what shouldn't? The Windows system tray is
horrible, because all commercial apps want to "just be there", just to
remind you that they're around. This is not what we want. The notification
area should be for apps that might actually have something to notify you
about. Like Gaim, Xchat (hint, hint), news aggregators like Straw, etc.

--
Juha Siltala
http://www.edu.helsinki.fi/activity/people/jsiltala/