Re: Contribution of Sun documentation team to the GDP.

Hi Pat,
	I do understand the pressures you guys are under and the problems you
face trying to maintain two different sets of documentation. I don't
want to seem like I'm underestimating those issues.

	However, I think a lot of the problems we're seeing here are largely
due to your lack of real understanding of how a community development
process works and the benefits of such a process. On the flip side, I
think the community has a lot of problems understanding *your*
development process and the benefits *you* see in following your
process. i.e. I put the problems largely down to a lack of communication
and understanding on both sides.

	What I'd really like to see is a full, open and frank discussion on
figuring out a documentation development process that allows:

  + You guys to largely work from JDS yet still have your work be
    generally useful to the community.

  + Your work to be regularly updated in its final location in CVS, even
    if it is unfinished/un-reviewed (works-in-progress in CVS is a good
    thing)

  + Other members of the documentation project contribute to the
    documentation

  + The documentation in GNOME CVS to reflect as closely as possible the
    community's product - at least that it is possible for contributors
    to *bring* it up to date with the latest GNOME

  + A greater level of communication and co-operation between everyone
    in the documentation project and hopefully a community atmosphere
    that would encourage more people to get involved

	I hope you guys haven't decided for good that such a situation is
impossible.

Thanks,
Mark.