Re: gnome 2.4 issues - best procedure?

On Sat, 2003-09-20 at 14:49, Owen Taylor wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-09-20 at 13:14, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > <quote who="Alan">
> >
> > > Hi folks.  I got 2.4 going a few days ago and am loving it.  Huge congrats
> > > to all the devs and testers involved.  There are some issues that I've
> > > noted down (about 30 from different apps and areas) and was wondering what
> > > the best procedure would be to put them out?  Just add bugs?  Post the
> > > list here to see what would be bugs and what wouldn't be?
> >
> > See if your bugs are already in bugzilla.gnome.org; if not, report them
> > there (perhaps with bug-buddy).
>
> It's worth noting that unless the bug is a crash where bug-buddy will
> get a backtrace of the crash, bugs filed directly are somewhat preferred
> over bug-buddy bugs.

I should expand on this a bit:

 A) I'm really basing this on the bugs I see coming in for my packages,
    not on the latest versions of bug-buddy. For all I know the
    gnome-2.4 bug buddy produces so spiffy bugs that I don't know
    people are using bug buddy.

 B) The problems that I've seen are:

    - bug buddy tends to produce bug reports that have a fair bit
      of irrelevant text and information in them when you are more
      confident about what the problem is. If you know it's
      "File is mispelled Fle in version 2.4.1 of gnome-utils", then
      the bug-buddy report will be annoying long.

    - The bug-buddy bug report may not be properly associated with
      your account on bugzilla.gnome.org, so things like mail
      preference settings may not take effect.

    - It's possible to file bugs through bug buddy without providing
      a legitimate email address. A bug report that you can't
      provide extra information for when requested might as well not
      have been filed.

Regards,
						Owen