Re: Nautilus 2.6 - We're going all spatial

> She renames files which she saved in Word by running Word ("as its a
> Word document") and using File -> Open to get a file manager window.

Yea tons of Windows people do that, or e.g. open the file in word and then Save
As to the floppy (which is much, much slower!)!  I first thought of them "poor
souls, how stupid are they", but then I understood that they haven't been
introduced to the file manager.

Most of the people still open Word (or whatever) and click File..Open then
search for the file, despite knowing which folder the file is, and that looking
for it directly in the file manager would be much, much more efficient and faster.

> The MP3 collection is on another disk, I'm happy with /mnt/data/Music
> but she couldn't remember this, so I created a symlink to it in her home
> drive.  She can get to the music, but can't get back to "her work" (~)
> again.  Other interesting observations include that she didn't know how
> to go up a directory in the GTK2 file selector: I told her you press
> "..", her reply was that is not very obvious. I totally agree, and even
> worse is that "." is shown in the list too. She laughed when I told her
> what *that* does.

HEHEEE =)

> Never assume that non-technical users understand as much as you think
> they do -- much of the time they known a sequence of operations which do
> what they want, but don't *understand* what happens.

Excellent point

> Ross
> --
> Ross Burton                                 mail: ross burtonini com
>                                       jabber: ross jabber debian net
>                                      www: http://www.burtonini.com./
>  PGP Fingerprint: 1A21 F5B0 D8D0 CFE3 81D4 E25A 2D09 E447 D0B4 33DF

    suerte,

    Rudd-O

     UNIVERSIDAD TECNICA FEDERICO SANTA MARIA
                 CAMPUS GUAYAQUIL
        CENTRO DE SERVICIOS INFORMATICOS
Mail enviado a traves de IMP-USM: http://www.usm.edu.ec/imp
    Los invitamos a visitar  http://www.usm.edu.ec