Re: [Patch] A clipboard daemon for gnome-settings-daemon

On Friday 05 September 2003 20:41, Hongli Lai wrote:
> A while ago there has been a discussion about integrating a clipboard
> daemon in GNOME which keeps the content of the clipboard in memory, so that
> even if the owner application exits the clipboard will not be lost.
> Here's a patch for gnome-settings-daemon (against most recent anonymous
> CVS) which does exactly that. No configuration options - it's supposed to
> Just Work(tm).
> I've tested this extensively for several weeks and it works fine (including
> QT and Mozilla apps).
> This patch can also be applied against the latest stable release of
> control-center.

A little note. This does seem to break one thing: copy & paste of richtext in
GtkTextView. Open the text view demo of gtk-demo and try copy & paste a piece
of formatted text: the formatting is lost.
GtkTextView seems to store a memory pointer to a GtkTextBuffer in the
clipboard. I couldn't figure out why it breaks; all data in the clipboard is
still exactly the same. But wouldn't this be a good reason to drop the memory
pointer thing, and use RTF data instead (like AbiWord does)?