jhbuild problems building pango and friends on rh9

Hi,

This is a problem I remember running into before, and I'd like to fix
it, but first I'd like to know if other people have it as well.

The problem is pretty simple: pango fails on detecting glib.  It uses
pkg-config to detect glib being 2.2.3 (the jhbuild-built cvs version of
glib), then it links an application in which it compares this version to
the (globals) glib_major_version and so on, which I presume are set in
the library, because I don't find them being set in the headers.

So, I'm assuming that the test application gets linked against
/usr/lib/libglib-2.0 instead of the one in my jhbuild prefix.
jhbuild sets LD_LIBRARY_PATH to my prefix's lib dir, and the gcc line
for conftest is
gcc -o conftest -g -O2 -Wall
-I/home/thomas/gnome/head/prefix/include/glib-2.0
-I/home/thomas/gnome/head/prefix/lib/glib-2.0/include     conftest.c
-Wl,--export-dynamic -L/home/thomas/gnome/head/prefix/lib -lgobject-2.0
-lgmodule-2.0 -ldl -lglib-2.0    >&5

so I'm assuming that gcc always prefers libraries in /usr by default.

So, on to my question.  How do I
a) force gcc to not link against /usr by default
b) make it prefer the jhbuild prefix libraries

and

c) am I correct in assuming that the actual library resolvement is done
at execution time, not at linking time ? ie, the linker line is of no
importance, it only looks for the library at execution time ?

If I know some of the answers, then I can take a whack at a proper
solution.

Thanks
Thomas

Dave/Dina : future TV today ! - http://davedina.apestaart.org/