Re: Storage and recent discussion about WinFS on linux-kernel

On Thu, 2003-10-30 at 18:33, Kjartan Maraas wrote:
> This might prove interesting:
>
> http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0310.3/0938.html

One thing we might keep in mind is that though WinFS is called WinFS, it
isn't a filesystem. On Linux the equivalent might best be done mostly in
userspace.

A more accurate description of WinFS seems to be Jeff's idea for "data
model objects":
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-hackers/2003-January/msg00005.html

This seems to be the best overview link:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/Longhorn/understanding/ux/default.aspx?pull=/library/en-us/dnaero/html/wux_topic_storage.asp

I can believe we'd need kernel hooks for bits of this, but it might be
kind of misguided to try doing the whole thing in the kernel.

Havoc