Dealing with *_DISABLE_DEPRECATED now and in the future

Hey everyone (and Owen),

It is unlikely that we can put out a sane 2.5 tarball release soon due to
breakage between unported 2.4-series modules building against GTK+ 2.3 with
deprecated widgets. This is due to tarballs using -D*_DISABLE_DEPRECATED.

There have been a number of suggestions as to how to fix this including:

  - Don't ever build tarballs with *_DISABLE_DEPRECATED flags.

  - Don't release unstable platform or desktop tarballs with *_D_D flags
    (some argue that platform and maybe even desktop modules should only
    ever be built against their intended platform).

  - Use versioned *_D_D flags.

Obviously this has come up already in GTK+ and some GNOME circles, but we
need to resolve it for 2.5 very soon, or we won't be able to do regular
tarball releases for testing (arguments about usefulness aside).

As it stands, we will need to build fresh, fixed tarballs for *every* module
in the 2.5 series before we can do a complete release. It would make sense
to hold off until we have a good solution in place, however... So, we need
to work that out quickly! :-)

(Owen, just wanted to bring this conversation up in GNOME-land to see how we
should be dealing with this, and what your thoughts are.)

Thanks,

- Jeff

   "This is the new dividing line in public life. It is not a question of
    Left versus Right, but a struggle between insiders and outsiders." -
                                Mark Latham