Re: Lockdown... Take 2

On Wed, 2003-10-15 at 13:49, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-10-15 at 12:13, Andrew Sobala wrote:
> > On Wed, 2003-10-15 at 10:35, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > > That said, even if one uses ACLS to do the actual lockdown, there is
> > > some some use in keys like this. When in locked down mode we want to
> > > avoid presenting the locked down things from the ui. Having "open
> > > terminal" in the menu, but giving a "permission denied" dialog isn't
> > > very nice. However, we need to point this out so people don't think
> > > enabling the disable_terminal key makes their system safe.
> >
> > Are gconf keys absolutely necessary? Can't we check for exec permissions
> > before showing the menu item, and simply not show it if it wouldn't
> > work?
>
> Sometimes we can, sometimes its not always that simple. For instance,
> the open terminal menu item in the nautilus desktop menu *could* look
> for all the different terminals it tries to start and check permissions.
> However, that would be a) pretty slow, and b) a pain in the ass.

Of course, it would be a lot cooler if it did, so maybe we should try
these sorts of things before going to gconf keys.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a leather-clad bohemian boxer for the 21st century. She's a psychotic
thirtysomething museum curator with her own daytime radio talk show. They
fight crime!