Still working on getting applications onto the proper window and display

Anyone have any pointers to applications other than devilspie for
working with metacity/gnome-session to get applications to display on
the display and the workspace one wants?  I say other than devilspie
because I have that one, but have been unable to get it to actually
move applications to other workspaces.

For instance, someone here mentioned editing the .gnome2/session and
session-manual as well as the .metacity/sessions/*.ms files.  Looks
like this is going to have to eventually be part of the implementation,
since it appears that one cannot convince an instantiated X application
to move to a new display/monitor/head.

At least on Solaris / GNOME , I've had limited success figuring out
what to put into these files to get the applications to start where I
need them to start.  The gnome application entries seem to be able to be
edited to indicate a new workspace.

However, non-GNOME applications, like Mozilla, dtcm, dtmail and others,
continue to start in the wrong workspace and on the wrong
display/monitor/head .  Metacity wants some sort of window id, but
trying to dummy one up results in applications not only not being
recognized, but disappearing altogether, and only applications that
know about session management appear to get an id assigned.

The .gnome2/session file seems to try to have some sort of --screen argument
- but when I try to set it to use the second display, it doesn't appear to
work.  Also, I get errors from applications saying they don't recognize
that argument and the app then refuses to start...

Any tips to other applications to help manage unmanaged applications
would be appreciated.
--
Tcl - The glue of a new generation.  <URL: http://wiki.tcl.tk/ >
Larry W. Virden <mailto:lvirden cas org> <URL: http://www.purl.org/NET/lvirden/>