Re: The noninclusion of Gaim

> I have no problem being part of GNOME (nor does Rob), as long as we get
> to preserve the control we have over the project.  A lot of the Gaim
> developers worry that being part of GNOME would sacrifice this control;
> that we'd have to abandon our own release cycle, that we'd have to
> abandon our Windows port, that we'd be forced to use gnome libraries,
> and other such stuff.
>
> Is there a good write-up anywhere of exactly what it means to be "part
> of GNOME"?  Rob and I would certainly be interested in reading it.

Some of it is here:
http://developer.gnome.org/gep/gep-10.html

It's generally accepted that being "part of GNOME" means being HIGgy,
cooperating with the UI team and a11y team, and doing releases for
GNOME's release cycle (this means, at minimum, having a defined branch
which conforms to GNOME's freezes at any particular point). Using GNOME
libraries might be expected where it's the best alternative (for
example, not rewriting a config system instead of gconf). That's not
exhaustive, not official, and no items on that list are targeted at gaim
specifically.

I don't think that windows ports are an issue, and I'd be surprised if
someone brought it up.

--
Andrew Sobala <as583 cam ac uk>