Re: The noninclusion of Gaim

On Fri, 2003-10-10 at 18:24, Curtis C. Hovey wrote:

> Even if a separate front-end project would be started, I suspect there
> will be some frustration during code and string freezes.  I gave up
> fixing my Evo-Gaim online buddies rss hack because the API's were never
> stable.  I do recall that API compatibility with major versions is a
> GNOME Platform requirement.

Only officially public APIs.  For example, libwnck isn't stable, because
non-core apps aren't supposed to use it.

Evolution 2 is moving towards a stable API, so that might help in that
case.  A stable "IM" API (that, perhaps, is pluggable to multiple
"backend" apps, be they GNOME IM or GAIM or Kopete or whichever) would
be quite nifty as well; I can imagine selecting a file in Nautilus,
picking the Send To option, then selecting my friend logged in over,
say, AIM, and having the file transfered to her.  Most nifty.  ~,^

AwesomePlay Productions, Inc.