Re: migrating to new backend format

On Mon, 2003-10-06 at 14:42, Chipzz wrote:
[...]
> As most users won't go back anyway, I don't see much difference with the
> other option of just migrating the tree on the first run, and popping up
> a question weither to delete the old tree or not. Question is of course
> _what_ should display that setting. I think the answer is to provide 2
> migration scripts, one forward and one backward, and let gnome-session
> or gnome-settings-daemon run it.

Any data to back up the "most users won't go back" claim? I seriously
doubt that anybody has enough understanding of our userbase to make
claims like that.

The problems with incompatibilities moving from GNOME 2.2 to GNOME 2.4
are annoying enough in an environment with shared home directories, to
pick one case where this will bite. Let's not continue the pain for
GNOME 2.6 if it can be helped. It is not practical to upgrade every
machine to the latest GNOME all at once, nor is it practical to keep
everything stuck back at the older version in such environments.

Malcolm