Re: migrating to new backend format

On Sun, 2003-10-05 at 19:01, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-10-05 at 16:59, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> >   Keep the ~/.gconf but use different file names.
> > Parallel install should still be doable, and trying to open the
> > old resource might still be doable too,
>
> That's a thought. We could just use something other than the
> "%gconf.xml" (which was a bad name anyway).

certainly not convenient, no.  if it's going to be one file per app,
then appname.xml or appname.gconf.xml would work perhaps?

> The reason for the "%" is that character can't occur in gconf
> subdirectory names, other chars that could be used:
>
> static const gchar invalid_chars[] =
> " \t\r\n\"$&<>,+=#!()'|{}[]?~`;%\\";

eek.  shouldn't we be defining what is valid vs. the other way around?
first year programmers should know that.  ;-)  (one assumes that
alphanumeric characters, dashes, and underscores are all that we want to
support, yes?)

> The idea of % iirc was to avoid chars the shell cares about.
>
> The other approach would be to escape the subdirectory names in some
> way, though this is problematic if sharing a tree with the old backend.

definitely ugly.

what would be the chance of having the new gconf support both formats,
and use the old one if old style files are about, and the new one
otherwise?  users running older versions of gnome can just stick with
the one, older format, and users of nothing but newer can just use the
newer format.  (perhaps after a migration tool is run, if they had an
older version once.)

that could even be implemented as two dynamic loadable modules (which we
have, don't we?  for the possible future support of SQL/LDAP/etc.
backends?) so we don't need two sets of code loaded in memory for no
reason.