Desktop Window sizes

Hi,

I am a novice in using redhat 9.x OS. I installed in successfully in my
computer and I also could configure lot of things like network etc
successfully. The desktgop I am using is Gnome.

Now I am trying to set the size of the windows for all the applications and
fonts for them Rught now it is too big and doesnt fit in into my 17 inch
monitor.

What I tried using are

1.Font sizes in preferences
2. Resolution in Display

But both of them are of no use. I could not make necessary changes using
this.

Could anybody tell me where am I going wrong??

Regards
Rashmi