Re: Theme support in GNOME

On Wed, 2003-10-01 at 21:01, Zeitgeist wrote:
> Hello;
>
> With GNOME going the way of accessibility, usability and conformity
> (which is great BTW), I have an idea for GNOME development which may or
> may not have been discussed before.
>
> As it is right now, there is no real "default" GNOME theme, I feel if
> GNOME was to supply just one default theme and icon set (incomplete and
> inconsistent icon sets is another problem) it would enhance usability.
> Of course, this would take a lot of debate and deciding on what the most
> usable theme would be for the default, but I feel it would help GNOME
> out. KDE has gone the way of millions of options and I see GNOME going
> to usability and the way of the HIG.

> Themes, if a user really wants it, could be handled in a software not
> included in the default install. Microsoft Windows does this, even
> though I doubt they want it that way, but it increases usability as the
> user is not consistantly figitting with options and themes.

This really isn't an option.  The problem is, one theme does not fit
all.  Some users need larger icons.  Some users need high contrast.
Some users need low contrast.  We can't just "scale" or "shade" icons
and such, because this can have an adverse effect on icon quality.

And, to be honest, the distros are taking care of this already.  Red Hat
w/ Bluecurve, Mandrake w/ Galaxy, and I'm sure more are to follow.
That's really second compared to the issue above, tho.