Re: Proposing libgnomesu for inclusion in Gnome 2.6

On Wed, 2003-11-12 at 23:41, Hongli Lai wrote:
> Andrew Sobala wrote:
>
> >What's the use cases for su-in-the-desktop? I would have thought that
> >the big one would be a nautilus (or gnome-vfs) subprocess grabbing
> >superuser rights to edit system files then dropping them again later.
> >

> As far as I know you can't fork() and then give the subprocess root
> privileges. All PAM apps are setuid roots, and lower their priviledges,
> not raise them.
> All authentication systems call a setuid root executable to verify the
> password, then that executable lowers priviledge and exec() an executable.

Right, so can we do it that way? My point was that can the
authentication be controlled with PAM.

I may be missing something.

--
Andrew Sobala <as583 cam ac uk>

Given by our hand in the meadow that is called Runnymede, between
Windsor and Staines, on the fifteenth day of June in the seventeenth
year of our reign.