Re: new menu vfs backend

On Wed, May 21, 2003 at 09:36:03PM -0500, Linas Vepstas wrote:
> Any chance that your work wil be in the form of a widget that other
> apps can use for thier own purposes?  I just spent a few days
> putting together a menu editor for my app (gnotime) so that users
> can maintain a menu of custom reports.  These are basically a
> filepath to the report & some extra info.
>
> I've put maybe 8 hours into it so far, and it maybe needs another
> 8-16 to finish.  I'm in no position to complain... but instead
> of having to spend 10-20 hours to work on this, it would have been
> nice to spend 2-4 hours figuring out how to taylor a generic system
> to my needs.   Mind you, I think I'm a fairly fast coder, so something
> generic may help others more ...

I'm not immediately planning to do an editor GUI, just leave the
current edit mechanism (moving around vfs files in nautilus).

If I was writing new GUI, I think I'd ultimately like to see something
more like the PalmPilot system than current menus - i.e. a simple
'browser' window with all apps and filter by category or something,
and then a way to put your favorite 10 apps in a menu. Rather than all
apps in a menu.  The new menu system does allow something like this to
be implemented.

If you combined that with a control center shell type of thing, it
seems like it'd come out nicer than the big hierarchical menu.

Havoc