Re: $HOME as desktop

On Thu, 2003-05-22 at 00:01, Jason A. Pfeil wrote:
> I've been following this with interest for some time and an idea just
> cropped up.
>
> What about a completely "virtual" desktop?  There is *no* folder for the
> desktop.  Instead, there is a gconf folder under /desktop called
> "desktop contents" and in there it contains a set of keys which are
> paths to the files (and directories) that GNOME considers to be "on the
> desktop".  There could also be a /desktop_sorting folder which contains
> one key called sorting_method and then any number of keys which refer to
> the files and directories for a non-alphabetical sorting method.
>
> That way, there is no confusion between a physical folder on disk and
> the "concept" of having something on the desktop.  Dragging something
> from a directory onto the desktop would add that object into the
> /desktop gconf folder and put it in the right order for sorting in the
> /desktop_sorting folder, if necessary.  This would obviate the need for
> worrying about the name of the desktop folder on the filesystem since it
> was all internally generated anyway and would be handled by the normal
> i18n translations.
>
> Anyway, just an idea to toss out there.

Actually, that is a good idea IMHO -- except for the GConf keys. That
may get really huge and nasty to change by hacking. And I do love plain
text files for configuration.

That said, the idea is really how I see it, too. The Desktop should be a
virtual place. I never want to store files on it. Links are essential,
though.

To store all those configuration options, links and stuff I still prefer
a hidden ~/.desktop directory for that virtual place.

btw: The "home" icon really makes sense then, and does not lead to
infinite loops... ;-)

> Keep up the good work and the lively debate!

full ack

  karsten