Re: Major change in desktop handling

> > So if you use $HOME as the desktop, you are forcing system-managed files
> > to be on the desktop (even if they are hidden by default).  This doesn't
> > make any sense - if a user turns on 'Show Hidden Files', they don't want
> > their desktop cluttered with a bunch of system-managed files.
>
> mmhhh good point, but IHMO to have a Home icon on desktop and a Desktop
> folder in Home is a crack too.
>
> I mean: I'm sitting in front of computer [1], and anybody said me that
> I'm looking the desktop. On the desktop I've an Home icon and anybody
> said me that it's the place of my personal files. I open the Home and...
> I find a Desktop folder... what's appening... desktop in the home and
> home in the desktop... I feel a little anxious.... If I open the desktop
> in home, can I find the home again??? And the desktop again? And so on
> until... until.... hey I can't stop this!
>
> IHMO it's a non-logic way. The desktop is the desktop and you should
> access to it only from the desktop, don't from a file manager window[2].
> If I've to change/add/remove something I don't need to open a window, I
> can do it directly from desktop.
>
> As user the desktop is a 'view of this computer', don't a folder in my
> home that I can display full screen (BTW: desktop background and
> ~/Desktop one should be the same... at least in a OO metaphor): I can
> have on it resources (personal files as Home icon or all files in ~,
> shared files as mounted devices, preferences, trash...) and stuff that I
> need/want find immediately.

Good spoken.

That's exactly, why I want my Desktop hidden in ~/.desktop directory. I
have a Desktop where I have stuff to work with. Accessible from my
Desktop is everything on my machine.

I never got used to the Desktop "as a place for storing my files". I
hated that from the very beginning and really rarely done that. And I
will _never_ do that, when I'm forced to change to my "Desktop" when
using the shell to access files.

To me, the Desktop is an _abstract_ place managing the workplace right
in front of me.

  ~/karsten

--
Hi, I'm a signature virus. Copy me into your ~/.signature to help me spread!