Re: $HOME as desktop

Shaun ONeil <shaun dog-berry com> writes:

> > So currently $HOME-as-desktop sucks a little because of this legacy
> > problem, but a general solution seems to be extremely easy to
> > implement. If it were in fact implemented, would that change people's
> > mind about the subject?
>
> I'm curious how this would be done without making it confusing. dotfiles
> are usually termed "hidden", so we'd have two definitions of hidden? If
> I ask nautilus to "show hidden files" on my desktop, does that mean
> revealing ~/evolution/, or a few hundred[1] dotfiles / dotdirs ?

I don't think Nautilus will let you show dot files on the desktop. But
yes, the big problem is to make it obvious what is going on. That's
why there needs to be list in the GUI so that you can see what files
you are currently hiding from the desktop:

  Items that are currently not shown on the desktop:
  | evolution                                       |
  | bin                                             |
  | semantic.cache                                  |
    Remove item from list
                                              Close

--
Ole Laursen