GNOME "Products"

I've been watching all of this traffic about what modules ought to get
into the GNOME Desktop, and which oughtn't.  It seems like plenty of
folks agree that we there are applications out there which meet the
broader quality and maintainership criteria for being a "GNOME"
application, but there is dispute about whether or not they ought to be
part of the GNOME Desktop release.

One potential solution is to create, or use another GNOME release.
We've got three GNOME releases right now.  GNOME Developer Platform,
GNOME Desktop, and GNOME Fifth Toe.  At the moment, these are pretty
closely tied together.  The Developer Platform and the Desktop are on
the same release cycle, and Fifth Toe is built on the Desktop, so it
deploys shortly after the Desktop release.

Since these applications aren't destined to be part of the Desktop, we
can rule out the Desktop, and thus the Developer Platform as possible
homes for these apps.  That leaves either Fifth Toe, or creating a new
GNOME release.

The question to ask seems to be "What are the pros and cons of each?"
I've thought a little about the answers, but I've only found more
questions.

How do users feel about the Fifth Toe releases?  How about Developers?
Do we need a full 'release team' for the GNOME "Product" that ends up
containing these packages?  Do we need to hold them to standards that
are similar to the ones for the GNOME Desktop release?  Or higher?  Or
lower?  Are we going to build this on top of the Desktop, or the
Developer Platform?  I don't have the rest of the questions, or even
answers to these.  Thoughts?