Re: magicdev and non-CD devices

On Wed, 2003-05-14 at 19:01, Rui Miguel Seabra wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Wed, 2003-05-14 at 16:38, Owen Taylor wrote:
> > But a few quick notes:
> >  - Actually, displaying icons on the desktop has nothing
> >    to do with magicdev. That's handled within nautilus.
> >    On Red Hat Linux, it should actually be possible to
> >    get USB/Compact flash working with only nautilus changes;
> >    we had it working with MC for a release or two before
> >    switched over to magicdev.
>
> What I understood is that Nautilus finds devices that the user should be
> able to mount (string 'user' or owner, I think, on /etc/fstab, such as
> Floppy, Cdrom, etc...[1]).
>
> That way, nautilus will never find how to mount usb/compact flash by it
> self, requiring a slight change to /etc/fstab (I may be wrong, if so
> don't flame, please correct me).

AFAIK, Nautilus used to have a bug in that it wouldn't update its
internal list of mounts when /etc/fstab changed.

On Red Hat systems, anaconda will update the /etc/fstab when you plug in
a new storage device, so plugging in a usb hard drive would make it show
up the disks sub-menu, it would just need to be mounted at that point (a
right-click away).

Magicdev would have to be able to know (how?) which bus the new storage
device is on to be say "hey, i need to mount this".

--
/Bastien Nocera
http://hadess.net

#2  0x4205a2cc in printf ("Oh my %s\n", preferred_deity) from
/lib/i686/libc.so.6 printf ("Oh my %s\n", preferred_deity);
Segmentation fault