Re: GNOME and superuser (privilege raising) integration

On Wed, 2003-05-14 at 09:51, Hongli Lai wrote:
> On Wednesday 14 May 2003 15:12, Sean Middleditch wrote:
> > > They don't have to be setuid root. They just talk to su/sudo.
> >
> > Right. I thought you wanted a bunch of different backends?  PAM on some
> > systems, su on others, etc.?  To get the full flexibility of PAM when
> > available?  (Since su is rather, well, black and white.)
>
> Maybe you'll understand it better if you take a look at the source code.

Right.  Missed the link to that in the original mail.  ^^;

Your PAM backend rather worries me.  First, you are checking for a PAM
entry - you are only using the /etc/pam.d, which is platform specific
(notably, most PAM platforms, and Linux can do this too, uses a single
file for all apps.)  Also, that ignores the fact that PAM works
perfectly well without an entry - the "other" entry is just used
instead.

Second, what is the reason for using /bin/sh ?  I can't think of any
reason to open that security hole without the user/app specifically
requesting an app to be run thru a shell.  I might be missing a specific
use case, tho.  ;-)

Still a bit leary about using console helper, since so few distros ship
it, but perhaps that will change.