Re: GNOME and superuser (privilege raising) integration

On Tue, 2003-05-13 at 13:38, Hongli Lai wrote:

> The su backend uses VteTerminal (like Gnome System Tools) to communicate with
> su since SuSE's su doesn't respect openpty() or something.
> The PAM backend just runs the app directly and lets consolehelper ask for the
> password.

Consolehelper?  PAM != consolehelper.  Consolehelper is a way to do what
your library already does; provide a wrapper/interface to launching apps
as root (or whoever).  A "PAM" interface would actually make use of PAM
itself - i.e., be a reimplementation of su (altho not portable).  A
"consolehelper" backend may be useful, but then, RedHat already
integrates things like the

If your library is going to be useful, it needs to work _without_ using
distro specific workarounds/hacks.

Also would have to be portable... world is bigger than just Linux.  ~,^
I don't know the intricacies of, say, Solaris, but the lib would have to
work on it.