Re: Panel behaviour under Xinerama

On Thu, 2003-05-08 at 15:46, Havoc Pennington wrote:
>But in any case, you have to decide what your Xinerama setup
> represents; the desktop can't just waffle between these two views of
> the matter.

Yes.

FWIW, the expectation when I was working on Xinerama-related stuff for
SUN customers in the past was that "xinerama means one screen", i.e.
apps should not in general do anything special when xinerama is on, and
they should not try to "work around" the one-big-virtual-screen behavior
that is the purpose of the xinerama extension.

If an app asks whether xinerama is on or not, it's probably intending to
do something improper, from that point of view.  When dealing with
customer issues, "one screen" was the canonical correct viewpoint.
Anything different from this behavior (from apps, utilities, the window
manager) would be considered a serious regression by xinerama customers.
The only occasion we made exception for this was for the login screen,
where it was felt that, as an option, we would allow the login dialog to
be centered on a single physical display rather than span the 40-foot
wall of monitors ;-)

That was my experience anyhow, and my understanding of how one set of
corporate Xinerama customers viewed the "correct" behavior.

HTH

- Bill