Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] 2.4 Proposed Modules - GnomeMeeting

On Wed, 07 May 2003, Murray Cumming Comneon com wrote:

> > From: Paolo Di Francesco [mailto:paipai tin it]
> > When the user installs the latest XYZ version of linux (or any
> > unix-like operating system) he/she expect to find all the
> > usefull applications, i.e. the applications the user COULD
> > use.
>
> Distros decide what to put in distros. We have some influence but we should
> not abuse it.

Indeed. What to put in the Gnome-desktop release is a developer-issue,
not an end-user issue. Having some standard mailer, browser,
im-client,... has some value, but why not use Fifth Toe for that?

GnomeMeeting is cool, but big evil dependencies such as libh323 should
not be in the core Gnome, IIRC. There was a time programs in C++,
where out of the question for the core GNOME (for good reasons), and
now mega-C++-frameworks like libh323/libpw, libmozilla, each with their
own GUI-classes, container-classes, should go in GNOME-core? Not good.

No damage will be done to put GnomeMeeting, Galeon, Evolution,.... in
Fifth-Toe; and have a leaner and easier to maintain core GNOME.

--Dirk-Jan.

 Dirk-Jan C. Binnema  email:  <djcb[at]djcbsoftware[dot]nl>
     [djcb]              im:          djcb jabber org