RE: 2.4 Proposed Modules - 2 weeks left

On Tue, 2003-05-06 at 15:35, Murray Cumming Comneon com wrote:
> > From: Havoc Pennington [mailto:hp redhat com]
> > What you're doing by saying we can't ship anything without the a11y
> > feature is making part of the release feature-based instead of
> > time-based. And feature-based is something we've explicitly abandoned
> > for *very* good reasons.

No; I think you are looking at this from the wrong side of the window.

Feature-inclusion is by its very nature, ahem, a feature-based
activity.  The idea of time-based releases is "if you aren't ready in
time, you wait until a later release."

Accessibility support is part of the "readiness" equation.  I did not
say we "could not ship anything without accessibility", though I
personally do think that we should not include inaccessible components
in the GNOME official desktop, just as we are reluctant to bundle GUI
apps that don't use GTK+ or otherwise are not very GNOME-like, without a
compelling reason.  Otherwise all the usual criteria for inclusion in
the GEP could be discarded using the same logic.

- Bill