RE: Seahorse re: 2.4 Proposed Modules

> From: Jacob Perkins [mailto:jap1 users sourceforge net]
> > Why would we want a gedit plugin? So far it seems roughtly
> analogous to
> > FileHandler, and I wouldn't want a "gzip this" menu item in gedit.
>
> Maybe you want a signature embedded in the document, instead of as a
> separate file. Or you want an encrypted section of text.
> Maybe you just
> want to paste text into gedit for decrypt/verification
> instead of saving
> it as a file and using nautilus.

Wouldn't these be difficult to handle? Wouldn't there be confusion about
what part of the text is signed? Is there a specification for the format for
encrypting text in a plain text file?

Surely we make everything simpler by saying that
encryption/decryption/signing/verification is per-file rather than
per-file-fragment-that-you-selected-with-the-mouse.

> > > nautilus property pages, and a
> > > gnome-vfs view
> > > of the keys.
> >
> > When would this be useful?
>
> For property pages, the file type may not tell everything about the
> file. .asc files could be plain text, a signature, or encrypted text.
> .gpg files could be encrypted data or exported keys. Property pages
> would allow a little analysis to be done.

Yes, of course. Sorry, I meant to just ask about the gnome-vfs stuff.

> For the gnome-vfs view, it might make exporting keys or viewing their
> properties easier.

I suggest that you find a use for this feature before implementing it.

Thanks for your patience so far.

Murray Cumming
murrayc usa net
www.murrayc.com