Re: UI debugging with grep

On Sun, 2003-05-04 at 04:22, Sean Middleditch wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-05-03 at 22:44, Gregory Merchan wrote:
> > Here's a common UI bug with an easy fix for everyone.
> >
> > GNOME alerts are supposed to use OK buttons, not Close buttons.
>
> Is "OK" really a good word to use?  It's a bit meaningless - OK _what_ ?

"OK, I know that now."

Used in the same way as you use the word "OK" in a conversation.

> If not "close" (which, admittedly, isn't good), what about Accept ?
> Cancel/Accept seems rather natural, to me anyways.

If there is more than 1 button in an alert, the HIG does _not_ recommend
using OK nor Close.

Basically,

1 button alert - Simple information for user - User presses OK to
dismiss it.

2 or more button alert - Question for user - The "OK" button should have
some descriptive text such as "Save", "Update the floogle" etc.

--
Andrew Sobala <aes gnome org>

"A freudian slip is when you say one thing but you mean your mother." -- unknown