Re: A question about the relation between different kind of themes on the Gnome Horizon!

On Fri, 2003-05-02 at 09:06, Jacky Lau Hok Yan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> To be frank, I love gnome. As for the lovely appearance, and the solid
> experience (My eng. is bad. may be there is a better wording to describe
> it :) )
>
> I am quite wondering about the inter-relation of different kind of themes.
>
> In my knowledge, there is GTK2 themes, icon themes, metacity themes,
> metathemes. SVG themes.
> I also know that, gtk2 themes, icon themes, and metacity themes are
> quite standalone.
> i.e. You untar it, and configure with gconf-editor. that's it. Right?
>
> How about SVG theme?
> Is it also a kind of gtk2 theme engine?
SVG themes is my rather inaccurate naming of gtk+ and icon themes that use SVG graphics.
Eventually also Metacity is meant to be themeable using SVG's. There is
also a SVG GTK+ theme engine, but currently it is not really usefull as
it basically is the pixmap engine ported, so it doesn't really relate to
the SVG files in an intelligent manner. Dom has making a more propoer
SVG engine somewhere on his todo list, but as which everyone else that
list is long and growing :)

> And how about metathemes?
Metathemes are currently a collection of a icon theme, a gtk+ theme and
a windowmanager theme. Hopefully it will also include a background image
eventually.

> I think I would like to know a little bit more, so that I can have a
> clear picture..
>
> Also, is the gnome-themes-extras the only pkg which deliver themes for
> gnome users?
No, there is a few more. For instance my spheres and crystals metatheme and
of course the gnome-themes package.