Re: 2.4 Proposed Modules - battfink

On Fri, 2003-05-02 at 10:13, Murray Cumming Comneon com wrote:
> >   battfink - Energy saving and battery status utility.
> >     Intended to replace the existing Battery Charge Monitor
> > in gnome-utils
> > [5]
> >     because it is smaller and simpler.
> >   http://www.gnome.org/softwaremap/projects/battfink/
> >   http://cvs.gnome.org/lxr/source/battfink/README
>
> So, I tried this. It looks neat and suitably simple, and I think it belongs
> in GNOME.
>
> The existing Battery Charge Monitor is a panel applet. Instead, this is an
> "Energy Saving" Control Panel and notification area icon. It has less visual
> options - you don't need them.
>
> Everyone with a laptop should try this to check that it can do everything
> that the existing Battery Charge Monitor can do. There shouldn't be any
> regressions. Suspend has never worked on my laptop so I can't test that
> myself.
>
> Also, I have some questions:
>
> - The new Energy Saving control panel lets me choose a standby time, when
> xscreensaver should start. Is this the same setting (gconf?) as used by
> RedHat's (?) Screensaver control panel (xscreensaver-demo -crapplet). In
> battfink's control panel seems to be a copy of the Advanced/Display Power
> Mangement part there, so I guess you've thought about it.
>
> - The old Battery Charge Monitor has a "Suspend command" preference, that's
> empty by default. Does this mean that it doesn't really do suspend and sleep
> stuff at all?

I don't remember if Glynn added suspend yet (I mailed him a bunch of
ideas with handling low batteries, like MacOS X does), but the command
will be "apm" on most Linux systems (PowerMac machines using pmud have
this command for compatibility), and maybe another one on ACPI machines,
so it would only be a case of trying both.

--
/Bastien Nocera
http://hadess.net

#2  0x4205a2cc in printf ("Oh my %s\n", preferred_deity) from
/lib/i686/libc.so.6 printf ("Oh my %s\n", preferred_deity);
Segmentation fault