Re: Legacy apps and themes

On Thu, Apr 24, 2003 at 08:36:00PM +0200, textshell neutronstar dyndns org wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 24, 2003 at 05:38:43PM +0100, Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro wrote:
> > A Qui, 2003-04-24 às 17:18, Ross Burton escreveu:
> > >
> > > The only UI I could possibly think of for this would be the font to use,
> > > but I think leaving it as a GConf key is perfectly acceptable.
> >
> >   I use GNU Emacs with the traditional darkslategray/wheat color scheme,
> > and I don't want to see it changed in any circunstance.  It follows that
> > we want to be able to limit the effect of grdb to a subset of the
> > applications, or disable it altogether.  gconf keys are sufficient,
> > however, no UI is necessary.  Just keep a *minimal* set of options for
> > power users, please!
> >

> I don't think that a hidden gconf key as the only way to disable this is a good
> idea (except we start promoting gconf as a configuration utility on it's own;
> just as many old style applications have some important options in the ui and
> the rest should be tweaked in the conffiles).
>
> I alway hated KDE's feature to change to colors of non KDE/QT apps and diabled

At the risk of sounding like flamebait, I'm wondering why bother?
Can't we encourage developers to create gnome/kde/whatever other
modifications frontends to these X apps?

Didn't RMS say that GNU Emacs was going to get a GNOME gui or
something?  Wouldn't that take care of the problem?

I guess I'm taking the hardliner stance of just getting developers
to make the frontends.  (heck if they can program in X, gnome and
qt programming should be easy. :-)  We did that with gv -> ggv etc.

sri