RE: 2.4 Proposed Modules - gpdf

Am Don, 2003-05-01 um 15.15 schrieb Murray Cumming Comneon com:
> So this is meant in addition to ggv (already in the Desktop), right? I
> believe that ggv is for viewing postscript files mostly but can also view
> pdf files. Can gpdf view postscript files too?

No, unless xpdf turns into a ghostscript clone.

> What's the deal with the duplicated functionality?

Jaka wanted to drop pdf support, if gpdf would get into gnome.

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2003-February/msg00449.html

> Out of interest, what's the relationship between gpdf and xpdf. Is it a
> fork?

Kind of. I haven't talked much with the xpdf author. There's a number of
projects that use copies of xpdf code (
http://www.foolabs.com/xpdf/portsntools.html
). So currenty gpdf is one of them (the xpdf author will put gpdf on
that page when I want it).
The copied code is almost unchanged and synched from time to time.

> This file-previewer thread passed me by until now:
> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2003-February/msg00427.htm
> It seems like a good idea to me, and maybe it should be a proposed module
> for 2.4.

I'm guilty. I've screamed ``yes'' and ``cool'' and ``no problem.'' And
didn't code. IIRC only Jaka did some experiments to see how the gpdf
component fits in the ggv shell.

	Martin