Re: passing variables to the gnome panel
- From: Havoc Pennington <hp redhat com>
- To: J Sigbrandt <js37 ohm york ac uk>
- Cc: desktop-devel-list gnome org
- Subject: Re: passing variables to the gnome panel
- Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 22:19:23 -0500
On Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 02:18:49AM +0000, J Sigbrandt wrote:
> Used to have this in gnome-panel -> properties -> command:
> "gdict -a $(xpaste.console)"
> xpaste.console is a terminal program that grabs stuff in the clipboard and
> can pass it to a bash script, for example. So, using it in the panel means
> that anything in the clipboard is passed to gdict when the panel icon is
> This doesn't work anymore - now gdict tries to lookup the word
> "$(xpaste.console)" and is not very successful!
> How do I re-enable this functionality?
gnome-panel doesn't run the command through a shell anymore for
security reasons. So you have to run it through a shell; you can
use "bash -c" or just create a shell script.
] [Thread Prev