Re: /home/$USER in GConf...

On Sun, 2003-06-29 at 10:11, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Jeff Waugh">
>
> > Ouch:
> >
> >   $ gconftool-2 -R / | grep "/home/jdub" | wc -l
> >        70
> >
> > As much as I hate automated bug reports, perhaps this is a good target for a
> > few minutes of $RANDOM_FAVOURITE_LANGUAGE script hackage? :-) [ if we made
> > the summaries consistent, they could be auto-dupe-detected somehow too... ]
>
> Note that some of this is due to the fact that there are /home/jdub/garnome
> entries throughout, for 'system' stuff.
>
> While we wouldn't necessarily look upon /usr references as badly as we do
> /home/$USER references, these are also a bit of a problem. I run GNOME from:
>
>   ~/garnome
>   ~/GARNOME
>   ~/garnomey
>   /usr
>   /usr/local/garnome
>
> ... and other locations, depending on what I'm doing, and I wouldn't be
> surprised if this is the case for big rollouts with lots of users running
> different versions of GNOME from different locations (I can think of a
> couple already).

By the way, this has already been discussed a couple of times on the
gconf list. The conclusion was that we needed to do something,
particularly for $HOME -- the multiple gnomes in multiple install
locations is a more minor point: just pick a version and use it. I
cannot remember if anybody has started working on it yet.

malcolm