Re: Unbreaking the gnome clipboard

On Sun, Jun 15, 2003 at 05:18:18PM +0200, Murray Cumming wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-06-14 at 21:09, Mark Finlay wrote:
> > Right now in gnome, IMHO, the clipboard is broken. You can't
> > copy something into the clipboard, close the program, and then
> > paste. This is really frustrating. What's worse is that all
> > we need to fix this is a simple deamon running in the background
> > that manages the clipboard.
>
> Yeah, I think people have generally agreed that this is the solution.
>
> >  And what's even worse is that one
> > already exists:
> >
> > http://gcm.sourceforge.net/

Morever, we should be able to cut-n-paste graphics and anything else
as an end state.  I seem to remember that Mac could do this since the
80s with Hypercard.  We are two generations behind on clipboards. ;)

I would love to see someone work with Jim, and Xfree guys and others
on re-defining our X clipboard protocols to meet the needs of desktop
projects.  The technical in me laments such a change since I like
cut-n-paste the way it works today and it would drive me crazy if I
was doing sysadmining if I had to explicitly cut-n-paste using
CTL-C, CTL-V.

So while I think it's great that we are solving these problems, but we
should also solve the bigger picture.

sri