Re: Unbreaking the gnome clipboard

On Sun, Jun 15, 2003 at 06:08:02PM +0100, Mark Finlay wrote:
<snip>
> After looking more at gcm I'm starting to think that it would be much better
> to start from scratch. Gcm is very complicated, IMHO all we need in gnome is:
>
> 1. The ability to press CTRL+C in a selection in an app, close the app,
> open another app, then press CTRL+V

. . . And have it do what's expected. ;-)

> 2. The ability to make a selection, and use the middle mouse button to
> paste the selection even after the selection is lost. ie. the middle mouse
> button pastes the last selection instead of being limited to the current one.

This is not at all necessary and it's a waste to poll for this as would
be required.

For handling large amounts of data or multiple types, I wrote the best
explanation I could about Motif's poorly documented target deferment
protocol.

  http://www.phys.lsu.edu/~merchan/motif-utm

My explanation assumes an understanding of selections and the clipboard
manager selection.

Cheers,
Greg