Re: GNOME Nirvana; How to reach it and what to do once we get there.

On Thu, 2003-06-12 at 18:05, iain wrote:
> [snip]
> My simple idea would be some sort of rating scheme, 5 GNOME feet awarded
> to first class software heading down to unrated software and a web site
> that has a simple way to find this software. Someone said apps.gnome.org
> and that'd be perfect. Software could be submitted to this software map
> and when submitted would start in unrated. There would be a very clear
> guidelines to what a program needs to have to be a 1foot, or a 2 foot
> etc. For example, to be 1 foot maybe a program needs to be fully HIG
> compliant. 5 foot programs may need to be fully documented, fully HIG
> compliant and fully accessible.

I think this is a great idea.  I think it would be even better if it
could somehow be integrated with freshmeat. Maybe have a gnome section
that contains (approved?) gnome software, no matter what the foot
rating. Users could still make their voice heard with a user rating,
while the foot rating would represent the gnome project's official
rating. The people that download software probably already go to
freshmeat, and the gnome section could be officially sactioned by the
gnome project. I have no idea how feasible this is, but it would be nice
to eliminate the software map and have one central place to look for
software.