F1 causing hang in all apps?

So, I've got a weird situation- somehow my laptop setup is a touch
horked, so launching help->contents (i.e., the F1 key) causes a hang in
all apps I've tested so far- games, nautilus, ephy, terminal, etc.
Anyone have any idea what the problem is here? it's a showstopper IMHO.
;)

FWIW, yelp comes up just fine when launched from the command line, so
it's not quite that, it looks like (though yelp is a little older than
the rest of the build.)

Anyone?

Thanks-
Luis