RE: Regarding Nautilus scripts

But I think that this functionality pretty much already exists.  You
drop the .server file in a special directory (/lib/bonobo/servers
usually), and Bonobo registers the component. It doesn't matter where
you put the .so file, because the .server file tells Bonobo where the
.so file is.  So how is this more difficult than MacOS or BeOS?

It seems to me that your only real complaint is the cluttering up of the
top level Nautilus menu.  This could be easily alleviated by creating a
submenu (Extensions or whatever), and have components' menus be placed
in there (like your mock-up).

As an aside, in about an hours worth of work, I created a Bonobo
component to do the Open Terminal Here... functionality.  I've gotten
all the code written, just finishing up the compiling and installing.
And I've never done any programming "of Nautilus internals" or anything
like that.  So it's actually very easy to create "Nautilus addons".
Anyone that knows C and XML can do it just by looking at some example
code (I looked at the file-roller component source).

Mason Kidd, CCNA
IT Customer Support Engineer II
BEA Systems, Inc.
Kirkland, WA