Re: Please, make order in keyboard languages configuration or add Gswitchit before GNOME 2.4

Actually, there is a strange story about gswitchit (for me it is a bit
bitter but let personal things stand aside:).

It was included into 2.4 app list. Then, it was excluded with some foggy
explanations about non-compliant UI (I cannot really claim these
accusations were false - they just did not contain any details I could
use as hints for improvements) - and absolutely correct notion that it
does not work with non-xkb X servers (I confirm that it should word with
any X server supporting xkb - just fill bugreports in case of problems).
Then, Jeff called for some UI review - and noone cared to perform one
(or publish results?). And now I am suddenly finding out (from Havoc's
responce) that instead of using gswitchit (correct me if I am wrong
here) GNOME is going to fix gkb-xkb backend - which is good thing itself
- but it hasn't been done in course of all these years starting from
GNOME 1 (actually, I would not start gswitchit if gkb would love xkb at
that time) - so who can guarantee GNOME core team (mostly English
speaking and typing AFAIK:) will find some spare time to do it by 2.4?

Sorry, probably this message sounds too scandalous but I just really
would love to hear some statement from GNOME maintainers about keyboard
i18n policy. GNOME is really great in unicode rendering department, so I
was always surprised why noone really cared about proper xkb support. In
order to display Russian characters, one probably first wants to input
them...:)

Actually, what I'd propose is to have quick meeting at GUADEC and
discuss this. How does this sound to you, Havoc?

--
Sergey

Description: =?koi8-r?Q?=FC=D4=C1?= =?koi8-r?Q?_=DE=C1=D3=D4=D8?= =?koi8-r?Q?_=D3=CF=CF=C2=DD=C5=CE=C9=D1?= =?koi8-r?Q?_=D0=CF=C4=D0=C9=D3=C1=CE=C1?= =?koi8-r?Q?_=C3=C9=C6=D2=CF=D7=CF=CA?= =?koi8-r?Q?_=D0=CF=C4=D0=C9=D3=D8=C0?=