Re: Proposal for a new default Gnome GUI

From: Michele Campeotto <ml micampe it>
Il ven, 2003-06-06 alle 13:36, Ross Burton ha scritto:
I feel this too, and I believe the HIG agrees with me. I believe the HIG states:
[close] TITLE    [min] [max]

  I think the HIG doesn't suggests a particular order, but there is this
draft that does:
  http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/proposals/sawfish.html
and it agrees with me and Rui :)
  The "correct" order is:
    [-][+] title [x]
for a really simple reason: the close button is far from the File menu,
which is a really often used item. The close button is better placed in
the right corner, far from other controls (unless you have a very busy
toolbar...).

In principle I agree with this, although in practice i've found
[close] TITLE [max] [min] more practical, because i tend to minimize or maximize windows much more than i close them. (Having these buttons in the upper right hand corner makes them easier to target for right handed mouse users which probably explains why i prefer this order). The issue with the file menu does indeed exist, but isn't that just a good reason to have a global menubar :p /me runs
dave