[Usability] Re: Alternative Utensil

Message: 5
From: Alexander Larsson <alexl redhat com>
To: merchan baton phys lsu edu
Cc: Murray Cumming Comneon com, aes gnome org,
	rosselli ling unipi it,
	"desktop-devel-list gnome org" <desktop-devel-list gnome org>,
	usability gnome org
Date: 03 Jun 2003 21:17:57 +0200
Subject: [Usability] Re: Alternative Utensil
On Tue, 2003-06-03 at 16:01, Gregory Merchan wrote:
On Tue, Jun 03, 2003 at 03:45:16PM +0200, Murray Cumming Comneon com wrote:
> > a spatial file manager
> > I give in. I don't know what a "spatial" file manager is. I must be stupid.
That's not stupidity. That's just ignorance, which is easily rectified.
(You might want to make sure Flash is turned off in your browser, if
you have that.) Here's a link:
  http://www.arstechnica.com/paedia/f/finder/finder-3.html

However, it should be noted that this article describes the spatial
finder in two pages, and then spends a lot of time describing something
very close to Nautilus.

I really don't want to get involved here but... Just for the sake of accuracy, in that article he spends about 2 pages describing why the main file manager interface ought to be a spatial one, then goes on to describe an alternate interface that could also be available to more advance users who are more accustomed to file paths. One could probably easily argue that this "advanced" interface should be rolled into the desktop web browser and the desktop icons et al. should provide a spatial interface which is preferable for most novice/intermediate users according to the author [1]. /me refuses to further comment. dave [1] Though I agree with the author I have about zero interest in getting into a flamewar again about this. Just wanted to clarify the link.