RE: 2.4: System Tools - Please try them

On Tue, 2003-06-03 at 04:19, Carlos Garnacho Parro wrote:

> >> Oh and a services tool - but i really think that this should just work
> >> too.
> >
> > Its an admin tool. The question is "do I want to be running an FTP
> > server, web server, NFS server, mail server?"
>
> and how could you focus it? I still see necessary the concept of
> runlevels, so the only proposal I can make is to have separate lists for
> each relevant runlevel, and an option menu to switch between runlevels. of
> course the concept should be abstracted as much as we could, for example
> (in debian):
>
> runlevel 0 ----> stopping the computer
> runlevel 2 ----> graphical mode
> runlevel 3 ----> text mode
> runlevel 6 ----> rebooting the computer

Most people don't care about the bootup sequence. They care about
whether the service is running or not. A single checkbox would do just
fine. It would be especially nice if when you checked the box, the
service actually started and when you unchecked it, the service stopped
(and of course, this also effects the "runlevel" settings... however
RH's setup tool does it). It would be even cooler if there was some way
to check if the service was running (for services which support this,
like atalk, httpd, etc) and only show the checkbox as checked if it was.

This gets rid of the distinction between "service runs at bootup" and
"service is running".

-Seth