Re: Killing Views Part 2 - The return of the Usabilty study

On Tue, Jun 03, 2003 at 07:54:14PM +0800, James Henstridge wrote:
> Gregory Merchan wrote:
>
> >If Nautilus would claim an X selection listing selected files, we could
> >have an previewer independent of Nautilus. The user would just run the
> >previewer if he wants such a thing.
> >

> Could you explain how X selections could help here?  Without the help of
> the XFIXES extension (which has zero deployment, and probably won't for
> a while), the preview app would need to periodically poll this selection
> for changes unless I am mistaken.

Err, yeah. Polling would be necessary if it acts like PRIMARY. Oops.

But it could act like XSETTINGS instead and then polling isn't necessary.
This would be better than a PRIMARY-like selection because it would allow
for more than one app to "listen" with less server traffic. For XSETTINGS,
the selection owner puts the data in a property on its own window. The
listeners use the selection to find that window and then listen for
property changes on it.

(Don't know how I missed this. Self-flagellation time.)

Cheers,
Greg