Re: Killing Views Part 2 - The return of the Usabilty study

On Mon, 2003-06-02 at 09:26, Alexander Larsson wrote:

> I don't see how you can be for a universal previewer when Nautilus is
> designed to be that and you want to remove it.

The difference is that a universal previewer would be in a separate
window.

Personally, I think we have to ask what the common case is going to be
for users double-clicking on a file.

For text files, I think that's pretty clearly going to be editing the
file.  If they just want to view it, they don't make any changes.  So we
should pop it up in gedit.

For PDF and PostScript files, that's pretty clearly just "view the
file".  Here's where a universal previewer would come in handy.  Note
this is all we can do, because GNOME doesn't have any applications for
editing PDF or PostScript directly.

For image files, it's a little bit less clear.  Probably we want to open
up in the universal previewer, but have a prominent way to get to the
gimp.

etc.