Re: GNOME 2.2 Desktop Release Candidate 1 (2.1.90): "1.21 Jigawatts"

On Sun, 2003-01-19 at 13:38, Gregory Leblanc wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-01-12 at 05:55, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > GNOME 2.2 Desktop Release Candidate 1 (2.1.90): "1.21 Jigawatts"
> >
> > GNOME Desktop 2.2 Release Candidate 1 (2.1.90): "1.21 Jigawatts", is ready
> > for your bug-busting and testing pleasure! It is available for immediate
> > download on ftp.gnome.org and mirrors.
>
> Cool, a Release Candidate!
>
> [snip]
> > If you're a big fan of GNOME, but haven't had the courage to install one of
> > the 2.1.x unstable releases, now is the time to give it a try! This release
> > candidate is very stable for daily use, with no horrible, time-wasting bugs
> > to distract you (though it does have its fair share of niggles). We're very
> > keen to see more testers play with the new code before we give it the big
> > "TWO POINT TWO FINAL" rubber stamp.
>
> Hmm, that sounds a little bit odd...  Sure sounds a lot more like a beta
> release than a release candidate.  Maybe I should look at the website...
> [pause]...  Well, now that's really odd.  It sure looks like this "GNOME
> 2.2 Desktop Release Candidate" isn't actually a candidate for the GNOME
> 2.2 Desktop Release, but instead, is just another beta, after which
> there are plans for a release that is actually a candidate for the GNOME
> 2.2 Desktop Release.
>
> Maybe I missed something, but why is there something called a release
> candidate that is just a final beta release?  Your local release naming
> prude,

You speak as though there is an unambiguous definition "beta" and
"release candidate", but you don't say what you think they are. Frankly,
it doesn't much matter to me what we call them, but "The Thing Right
Before Final Release" is a bit wordy....

Cheers,
John
--
John Fleck
http://www.inkstain.net http://www.abqjournal.com

"Sometimes, a diner is all about the mac and cheese."
  - Zippy the Pinhead