A few thoughts on $HOME structure....

Hi everyone, this is my first post to this list. I just wanted to share some thought of mine based on the $HOME thread. (sorry for the delay)

I really like the idea of better consolidating the content of the Home directory, but I'm not to fond of the ideas put forward so far. Personally, I think the folders should be "."-prefixed and should semi-model the structure of a typical linux file system.

All configuration info should be in
~/.etc

Apps that need to have a cache or a log should use
~/.var/cache
and
~/.var/logs
respectively

General app data, especially that which should be shared, should be put into
~/.usr/shared

or simply

~/.shared

I personally think this structure would make it very easy to manipulate settings and back up data while keeping things very clean and unobtrusive (as well as intuitive to most *nix users).

Phil