Re: [Markus Kuhn cl cam ac uk: A suggestion for gucharmap, KCharMap and umap]

Hi,
Haven't tried out the application yet but this discussion coincides with
some of my own research and it looks good enough that I shouldn't pass
up this opportunity to say something.

I've been exploring the OpenType font file format lately for an
application I'm designing. One of the things I've just been looking into
is the extended tables available in OpenType. One extended option is
alternate glyphs. I don't have a concrete suggestion for how this could
(should?) be incorporated into gucharmap but it may be worth keeping in
mind as a future option.

While alternate glyphs wouldn't serve much purpose for gucharmap as an
application (except for the DTP app I have in mind) it would be useful
if gucharmap was an application-accessible dialog. Have you considered
making an API for it? It seems like this would be a useful dialog in the
same vein as the standard GTK+ colour selector, file selector, and font
selector. You also mention on your website that the gucharmap can run on
Windows. That would make it as portable as GTK+ if I'm not mistaken.

A few thoughts off the cuff on what might be useful if it were a dialog:
 - might only show characters from the font(s) indicated by the
application (and therefore narrow language list accordingly)
 - might want to display it a little smaller
 - might not show font, style, size boxes at all
 - would need an OK button to close the dialog
 - copy button would be redundant as it is implied that the characters
in the textbox would be inserted into the app
 - menu bar hidden or changed
 - would want to preserve the currently open script/language group and
be positioned to the appropriate symbol page if the user opens the
dialog repeatedly
 - callback on glyph hover or press (app. can look up alternates in
opentype capable fonts and display them?)

One last push for a dialog: having to find the character map in a menu,
find your character, copy it and then paste it into a app makes it a
real pain to use (especially if you close the window between repeated
uses). Integrating into applications, preferably with a common shortcut,
would make multilingual/symbol input much easier and more consistent
(cf. AbiWord insert symbol box, missing one in Gnumeric).

Patrick